Friday, December 3, 2010

Fruitcake Anyone?

I am the only one at House of Hunters, 
well actually, I am the only one I know...
who enjoys a (good) fruitcake
My favorite, is from Costco (I know- so wrong)
it has lots of nut and is heavy and moist,
heavy with what- who cares?
But, I think I've found a version
more people can get behind..
The Fruitcake 
by 
My Jello Americans

Layer One
1. Pour 1/8 cup water into a bowl.  Slowly add one packet of Knox gelatin while stirring. 
2. Add 1/2 cup dark spiced rum.
3. In a seperate bowl, add 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp molasses, 1/3 cup pomegranate and wild berry juice and stir well. Most kitchens can heat this mixture on a stove top.  We, however, have only a microwave.  If you're going to use a microwave, be sure to put on your prettiest ironing apron to protect yourself from the dangerous radiation (guys too)!
4. Once this mixture is heated– but not to a boil– add it to the gelatin and rum bowl and stir well.
5. Pour a small amount in each of your pre-greased molds (We used a mini-cupcake tin, a mini cake pan and a small square dish).  Leave at least 2/3 of the mold empty for the second layer.


Wait for this layer to become firm.  While you wait, you can chop and crush your fruit and nuts, read a book, check email or go out dancing.
For layer two and a few more photos
go to My Jello Americans at Urban Outfitters 
If you really do enjoy the real deal as I do,
check out the great recipes at 
Saveur.

Holiday Cheers!